If you want to prepare for blackouts, work off-grid, or travel in remote areas, consider getting a portable power station.
Also known as portable battery stations and power banks, portable power stations can run various appliances and tools, including lights, fridges, laptops, and ovens. Depending on the model, portable power stations can be just as powerful as traditional portable generators. Not only can they power your home and office, but they can also produce “clean” pure sine wave energy for charging sensitive electronics like smartphones and laptops.
However, buying a portable power station isn’t always so easy. With so many brands and sites for buying power stations, deciding which power station to buy can take a lot of time and energy.
That’s why we’ve written this comprehensive guide about where to buy the most powerful portable power stations. Read on to learn which factors to consider when investing in portable power stations. We’ll also cover where to buy portable power stations.
Where You Can Go To Buy a Quality Power Station
Now that you know what to look for when buying portable power banks, let’s take a look at the top places for getting quality power stations.
Why Amazon Is an Excellent Option
Amazon is one of the best places to buy a quality power station portable. Here’s why:
Unlike many other platforms, Amazon is home to a broad range of brands and models, including:
- GoalZero Yeti
- Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment
- Champion Power Equipment
Amazon also lets you filter products by:
- Condition: You can choose between new and used power stations. Generally, used power stations are less expensive. However, they may not come with free shipping and are more likely to have defects.
- Price: Select a price range to locate portable power stations that fit your budget.
- Generator wattage: Amazon offers portable power stations of various wattages, from 999 watts and under to over 40,000 watts.
With so many brands, models, and types to choose from, you can easily find the best power station for you.
Lots of User Feedback
Unlike brand sites, which often only have a handful of reviews, Amazon has hundreds and even thousands of reviews and ratings for its top portable power stations.
Use these reviews to determine whether a product is worth your time. If a product has less than twenty ratings and the average rating is below four stars, consider getting another power station. Power stations with higher and more ratings are more likely to meet your standards.
Questions and Answers
Amazon also allows customers to ask questions about the product, such as, “Can this be charged while driving?” and “How many AC ports does this product have?” The manufacturer, seller, and other customers can answer these questions.
Use these questions and answers to get a better understanding of what a portable power station is best for and what you can expect from it.
The Leading Power Stations Found on Amazon
Let’s take a look at the leading power stations on Amazon.
Founded in California in 2012, Jackery is one of the most popular portable power station brands on Amazon. It’s also the world’s largest manufacturer of outdoor solar tools and a pioneer in the solar generator industry. According to its site, it’s been recognized by over 100 organizations and media around the globe.
Because of their portability and solar panel compatibility, Jackery portable power stations are widely known for their portability and solar charging capabilities. As such, they’re extremely popular with outdoor enthusiasts.
Here are some of the most popular and highly-rated Jackery portable power stations on Amazon:
- Jackery Explorer 200W Portable Power Station: Amazon’s Choice for the keyword “power bank with AC outlet,” this beast was featured as the “Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors” by Digital Trends. Many customers praised this product for its portability, power, and ability to power road trip essentials like fans, laptops, smartphones, and lights. Like other Explorer products, this power station can be recharged through solar panels.
- Jackery Explorer 300W Portable Power Station: Amazon’s Choice for the keyword “power station jackery,” this power station only takes two hours to recharge 80% of its battery power. It boasts multiple outlets, including two AC outlets, one DC car port, one USB-C port, one fast charge 3.0 port, and one USB-A port. It’s also compatible with the Jackery SolarSaga 100 solar panel.
Founded in 2019 by James Ray and Wonder Law in Walnut, California, BLUETTI creates minimalist portable power stations that seamlessly integrate into users’ lives. BLUETTI’s first portable power generators were released on Amazon in July 2019 and have received glowing ratings ever since. In 2019, the company launched its flagship model, the BLUETTI AC200P 2000W Portable Power Station, as an Indiegogo crowdfunding project. They earned nearly seven million dollars in two months.
BLUETTI power stations are known for their massive power output, variety of outlets, and excellent battery autonomy. However, some BLUETTI models can be quite heavy, even those designed for camping and RV.
Some of the hottest and most highly-rated BLUETTI power stations include:
- BLUETTI AC300 and B300 3000W Expandable Power Station: This expandable power station is Amazon’s Choice in the “outdoor generators by BLUETTI” category. A modular power system, this beast consists of an AC300 master module that works with up to four B300 external battery packs. Like many other top picks, this power station can be charged through solar panels.
- BLUETTI EB70S 800W Portable Power Station: This product is another Amazon’s Choice product in the “outdoor generators by BLUETTI” category. With an ultra-safe LiFePO4 battery and a first-class battery management system, this model ensures over 2,500 lifecycles.
Rockpals is a leading supplier of portable power stations and rechargeable solar panels that offers a wide range of products. Many customers have written glowing reviews about Rockpals power stations’ large battery capacity, long battery life, portability, and budget-friendliness. They also liked how some of the models had built-in LED lights for emergency use. However, some customers didn’t like Rockpals’ chunky, outdated designs.
Some of their most popular power stations include:
- Rockpals 250W Portable Generator: Lightweight, portable, and reliable, numerous users have praised the Rockpals 250W Portable Generator for its high-capacity lithium power pack and pure sine wave inverter. This budget pick can be charged in three different ways: through any compatible solar panel, a battery pack, or through a 12-volt car socket.
- Rockpals 300W Portable Power Station: The Rockpals 300W Portable Power Station comes with a 10.8-volt lithium-ion battery back and has enough power to charge iPhones around 29 times. It also boasts built-in professional recharging technology.
DeWalt is one of the U.S.’ most prominent power tool and hand tool brands. Founded in 1923 by Raymond E. DeWalt, the inventor of the radial arm saw, DeWalt expanded quickly and was sold to Black & Decker in 1960. In 1992, Black & Decker started rebranding its high-end power tools to DeWalt.
Although DeWalt is best known for its power tools and traditional gas generators, it also sells portable power stations.
However, these power stations are mostly for charging power tools like saws and drills. Since they’re made for very specific functions, they usually have fewer outlets and lack solar panel compatibility. Many also lack pure sine wave inverter technology, making them a poor choice for charging phones and laptops. DeWalt generators also tend to be much heavier than comparable models by Jackery and other traveler-friendly brands.
Here are some of DeWalt’s top power stations on Amazon:
- DeWalt DCR025 20V MAX Portable Radio and Battery Charger: A radio that doubles as a portable power station, the DeWalt DCR025 20V MAX Portable Radio and Battery Charger can be powered by FLEXVOLT and 20V MAX batteries and an AC power cord. This product has two AC power outlets and an Aux and 2.1 AMP USB charging port.
- DeWalt DXAEPI1000 1000W Power Inverter: Lightweight and powerful, the DeWalt DXAEPI1000 1000W Power Inverter delivers 1,000 watts of power via dual 120-volt AC units and 3, 3.1 Amp USB charging ports. It also has an LCD screen for showing real-time battery status, fault issues, and power consumption.
Goal Zero Yeti
Also known as Goal Zero, Goal Zero Yeti has been a leader in the renewable power niche since 2009. The company’s mission is to empower people by giving them access to reliable sources of power.
Goal Zero enjoys moderate popularity on Amazon. Many customers have praised the brand for its solar-powered panels and generators. They were also impressed by certain models’ massive battery banks and inverters.
At the same time, many users disliked Goal Zero’s high prices. For similar prices, they could get even more powerful power stations from other brands. Many models were also much heavier and less portable than expected.
Why Zoro is a Budget Contender
Amazon isn’t the only place to buy power stations. A subsidiary of W.W. Grainger, Inc., Zoro.com is a one-stop destination for tools, parts, and supplies for all kinds of businesses. It offers millions of items at competitive prices and fast, free shipping on orders of $50 or more. If you’re not satisfied, you can just return your purchases.
Like Amazon, Zoro gives you the ability to filter products by brand, price, and voltage. However, due to the smaller community, it has far fewer ratings and reviews.
The Power Stations Zoro Offers
Zoro offers many power station brands, including:
Klein Tools is an American tool manufacturer based in Lincolnshire, Illinois. The company is mostly known for its hand tools, but it also offers portable power stations.
Many users appreciated Klein Tools’ portable power stations for their reliability, eco-friendliness, and portability. Klein Tools 1500W Portable Power Station, for instance, produces environmentally-friendly, pure sine-wave power that can power miter saws, hammer drills, and more. It’s also compatible with solar panels.
However, keep in mind that Klein Tools’ portable power stations were specifically designed for running power tools. As such, they may not be the best pick for travelers who want to charge phones, laptops, and fans on the go. Klein Tools’ power stations are also heavier than comparable models by Jackery, BLUETTI, and other traveler-friendly brands.
EcoFlow is a renewable energy and portable power company with over 500,000 global users in over 85 countries and regions.
In 2021, the company launched the world’s first portable home battery with an expandable ecosystem, the EcoFlow DELTA Pro 3600W Portable Power Station. One of the most powerful generators on the market, this beast sports a staggering 3.6 kWh capacity that can be expanded to 25 kWh. You can use it to run lights for four days and charge your phone over 300 times. You can also integrate this power station with your home circuits via the Smart Home Panel.
EcoFlow’s other products are also equally impressive. Besides heavy-duty power stations that can power homes and appliances for hours on end, the company also sells portable, traveler-friendly mini power stations for charging phones and laptops.
Unfortunately, EcoFlow power stations do have some flaws. Some models’ capacity may drop after 800 charging cycles. EcoFlow power station batteries could also be more durable.
Another popular brand on Zoro is Westinghouse. One of the U.S. leading appliance brands, Westinghouse was founded in 1886 by the industrialist and inventor George Westinghouse.
Many customers enjoyed Westinghouse power stations’ design, power, and durability. They also appreciated Westinghouse’s diverse offerings and how their power stations can power a wide range of appliances. On the flip side, they found that Westinghouse power stations generally didn’t charge laptops very well. The batteries also took a while to charge.
3. Northern Tool
What Sets Northern Tool Apart
If you prefer purchasing tools from a family-owned business, consider getting portable power stations from Northern Tool.
Founded by Don Kotula in his garage, Northern Tool provides quality tools for serious work. When it comes to selection, the company offers over 100,000 tools from top names in the industry, including Honda, Milwaukee, and hundreds of other top-notch national brands. Northern Tool also manufactures and sells Powerhorse, NorthStar, Klutch, Bannon, and other premium products you can’t buy anywhere else.
Northern Tool also has a strong retail presence across the U.S. As of 2022, it has over 120 store locations across over 20 states. Northern Tool offers:
- A website with over 100,000 tools
- Nationwide delivery
- Curbside store pickup
- A team standing by the phone that is always ready to take your order
The Best Power Stations Found on Northern Tool
Northern Tool offers power stations from a wide range of brands, including:
As on Amazon, Jackery has a large presence on Northern Tools. Just type “portable power stations” into Northern Tools’ search bar and you’ll instantly be flooded with Jackery products.
The most popular Jackery products on Northern Tools are:
- Jackery Explorer 1800/3600 W 1500 Portable Power Station: The number one Jackery power station on Northern Tools, this beast can power seven devices simultaneously. You can recharge it via a solar panel, car outlet, or AC outlet.
- Jackery Explorer 200/400W 290 Portable Power Station: This budget-friendly power station can charge four different devices simultaneously and has a pure sine wave output for running sensitive electronics. It also has a built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) module for up to 23% more solar recharging efficiency.
- Jackery Explorer 1000/2000W 880 Portable Power Station: This power station lets you charge eight devices simultaneously and has a built-in MPPT module that adds up to 23% more solar recharging efficiency. Essentially, it’s a juiced-up version of the Jackery Explorer 200/400W 290 Portable Power Station.
Another popular brand on Northern Tools is EGO. Part of an international manufacturing business established in 1993, EGO has pushed the boundaries of cordless technology for nearly three decades. Today, they’re one of the world’s largest tool manufacturers.
The hottest EGO power generator is the EGO PST3042 2000/3000W Nexus Power Station. This generator is well-known for delivering clean, quiet, power whether they’re at home or on the go. Users also liked how it has four USB ports, three AC outlets, a bright LED display for displaying run time, and pure sine wave technology for running sensitive electronics.
However, the EGO PST3042 2000/3000W Nexus Power Station is quite heavy, making it a poor fit for travelers and other highly-mobile users. We recommend it for homeowners and business owners.
Factors To Consider When Investing in Portable Power Stations
Unfortunately, not every portable power bank is made equal. Some brands and models are more cost-effective and powerful than others are. Here’s what you should consider when buying excellent power stations:
Amount of Backup Power or Continuous Power You Need
First, think about how much backup or continuous power you need.
If you’re planning to use your portable power station for backup power, you probably need 8 to 15 hours of backup or uninterruptible power supply. On the other hand, if you’re only using your portable power station to charge phones for a short hiking trip, you probably only need 4 to 6 hours of power.
Charge Time Between Uses
Next, you need to consider the charge time between uses. Some models can charge very quickly, while others require you to charge for 5 to 8 hours between uses.
If you don’t plan to use your portable power station continuously, a longer charge time is probably just a minor inconvenience. You can just charge your portable power station while you’re asleep. However, if you’re planning to use your portable power station continuously, you should prioritize buying a model with a short charge time.
Plenty of Ports for a Variety of Devices
If you’re looking to charge multiple devices, ensure that your power bank has an array of ports.
For instance, if you want to charge a laptop, two mobile phones, and two mini-fridges, you should probably get a power station with the following output ports:
- Two USB-A ports: USB-A ports are the original USB connectors. They are found in almost every digital device, including laptops, video game consoles, and Smart TVs.
- Two USB-C ports: Released in 2014, USB-C ports were meant to fix USB-A problems. Many new devices only have USB-C ports.
- Two AC outlets: AC outlets are portable electrical connectors for appliances like mini-fridges, toasters, and hairdryers.
- A car port for charging on the go: Almost every portable power station has a carport for charging while driving.
You should also consider the number and variety of input ports. Otherwise, you won’t be able to charge your portable power bank as often as you’d like.
Size, Weight, and Type of Generator
Portable power stations come in a wide range of sizes, weights, and types.
Models aimed toward campers, hikers, tailgaters, and other highly-mobile individuals are lightweight and come with handles that make them easy to carry. They also typically have solar panels for charging on the go. To charge solar power stations, just attach them to your backpack, RV, car, or bike while traveling.
On the flip side, power stations aimed at homeowners and business owners tend to be heavier and less portable. They’re also less likely to have solar charging.
Receive Reliable Power With an Exceptional Portable Power Station
Portable power stations are essential appliances for travelers, homeowners, and business owners alike. An exceptional portable power station can keep your devices, fans, appliances, and other tools running during trips and power outages.
In general, if you’re a traveler, hiker, tailgater, or RV’er, consider getting a Jackery or BLUETTI power station. These brands are portable, lightweight, and have solar panel compatibility.
However, if you’re a homeowner or business owner who just wants a backup power source, EcoFlow and EGO are better choices. These beasts can power sensitive equipment like laptops and computers as well as large appliances like TVs, fridges, and lights.
Finally, if you’re a contractor or home improvement enthusiast who wants to run tools in a remote area, get a DeWalt or Klein Tools power station. These generators were specifically designed to power heavy-duty tools like miter saws and drills.