The need for electricity is almost unavoidable in this day and age. From camping to cookouts, power outages to picnics, portable power stations have a use in nearly any situation. Where generators are intended to provide power to homes, portable power stations are ideal for charging electronics, keeping small appliances running, or even powering outdoor movie or gaming parties.
As the world turns its eye toward renewable energy, two major types of portable power stations have come to prominence: solar and electric. Both have their pros and cons, but which is the best option for you? Read on for information about electric vs. solar power stations.
Solar power stations rely on solar panels to convert sunlight into electrical energy. Solar panels are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb sunlight to generate an electrical current. If you’ve seen solar panels on the roofs of nearby houses, it’s the same technology, just on a smaller scale.
The Best Solar Power Generator Buying Guide: the Top 5 Best Picks
Where solar stations recharge with sunlight, electric power stations need to be plugged into an electrical outlet in order to fill up their batteries. This means that you can plug them in at home, but it also gives you the opportunity to recharge the power station with a generator as well.
Because the technology is relatively new, solar power stations are generally more expensive than electric ones. However, keep in mind that electric power stations rely on electricity, as their name indicates, so they can impact your electricity bills. In contrast, solar power stations may be more expensive up front, but there are no costs associated with recharging them.
Solar portable home power stations are more environmentally friendly than electric ones. Solar panels convert sunlight into electrical energy, which powers appliances and electronics. Solar panels do not produce emissions, making them a clean energy source.
While countries like the United States are attempting to increase the amount of electricity generated by renewable means, including solar panels and hydroelectric plants, the majority of electricity is still generated using fossil fuels, like coal and natural gas. Though electric power stations don’t necessarily generate harmful emissions on their own, they can contribute to them as a result.
One of the major differences between solar and electric power stations is how you take care of them. The main power station units themselves will be relatively similar, and of course, stations from different brands may vary in how sturdy they are. However, as electric power stations keep their technology inside, there’s less of a chance that something can happen to them, barring water damage or a cut power cord.
With solar power stations, you need to be careful of how you treat the solar panels. Panels need to be gently cleaned regularly to ensure maximum sunlight absorption. Because they’re sensitive pieces of equipment, you need to be mindful of how they’re treated, taking care to avoid impacts that can damage the panels.
Although solar power stations have a variety of differences from electric ones, they’re not mutually exclusive. Some electric power stations are compatible with solar panels, which allows you to convert them instead of needing to buy an entirely new unit. This also makes them more versatile as you can rely on sunlight for charging in areas without electricity and plug the station in when you’re able to.
Despite their differences, solar and electric power stations are both viable options. Solar panels add versatility to power stations, but if you run out of charge in the middle of the night, you need to wait until the sun comes up. Electric power stations require access to outside generators whether they’re portable gas generators, home electrical outlets, or even vehicle power converters. Ultimately, it’s important to choose the power station that suits your needs and stays within your budget.
- SPEED UP YOUR RECHARGEABILITY: It takes only 2 hours to recharge 80% battery of the power station through the wall outlet and 60W PD USB-C port simultaneously. You can also recharge your power station with an AC adapator when at home, through the car outlet during a road trip or simply use a Jackery SolarSaga 100.
- SAFE & STEADY POWER SUPPLY: Armed with a 293Wh lithium-ion battery pack, the Explorer 300 features 2 Pure Sine Wave AC outlets that deliver stable and safe 300W power. The portable power station weighs only 7.1 pounds. You can simply rest assured in outdoor off-grid activities.
- POWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS: Featuring 2* AC outlet, 1* PD 60W USB-C port (input/output supported) , 1* fast charge 3.0 port, 1*USB-A port and 1* DC car port, the power station can recharge itself and charge (up to) 6 devices (e.g.Drones, Macbook, Cameras, etc.) at the same time to satisfy your outdoor needs.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station is compatible with the Jackery SolarSaga 100 solar panel. The integrated MPPT controller enables the solar generator set to operate at its max power point, so that it speeds up the battery recharge, making them ideal portable power kits for tent camping, overland journey and etc.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 300 Portable Power Station , 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide
- 【 26000mAh/84Wh High Capacity Battery 】- Solar Powered Generator, 12 years lifespan, cycle more than 3000 times, storage solar generator power to battery with solar panel and supply power to LED light and mobile phone.
- 【 Meet Long Continuous Lighting Needs 】- The generator built-in lights of 2 levels, full charged continue lighting up 64 hours. 3 external lamps with individual switch continue lighting up 40 hours. High brightness up to 140Lumens/W, low consumption.
- 【 Lightweight and Compact】- Portable power station, only 2.1 lbs weight, plug and play. Comes with a handle, easy to carry. Perfect emergency power backup for home and widely applicable to travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, expedition for outdoor activities.
- 【 2 Charging Ways 】- Solar panel charging: 4.2V/18W high-quality solar panel, charging 1 day, lighting up to 2.5 days. USB charging: suits for wall plug, battery, car, etc.（TIPS: When charging, please turn on the blue switch)
- 【 Our Guarantee 】 -This solar power generator is reliable. We offer 2 Year Warranty and 90-Day FULL REFUND service if our generator kit doesn't meet your needs! * JUST BUY IT NOW*
- 【9 Outputs Ports】The portable power stations has 2* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 330W, 380W Peak), 1*PD Type-c port, 3* USB-A ports (5V2.4A*1,QC 3.0*2), 2*12vDC ports, 1* 24V DC car port, portable battery pack to power your camera, drone, smartphone, tablet, CPAC, etc. (power ≤ 300W)
- 【Unique Design】Solar generator. Multifunctional LCD display shows remaining power/charging/discharging/AC output/DC output status. The independent AC/DC provides simple operation when charging different devices, and it also has three lighting functions. Torch and 2 flashes (SOS mode)
- 【High Capacity Battery】This HOWEASY 300Wh power generator is enough to meet the basic electricity needs outdoors or indoors. Weighs only 6.4 pounds. The handle is soft and easy to carry, suitable for outdoor adventures, tent camping, family emergency, etc.
- 【Triple Charge Mode High Efficiency Solar Generator】 HOWEASY solar powered generator is equipped with a Lithium battery pack that can be efficiently charged via a 15-24 volt solar panel (not included) , AC wall adapter and 24V car charger. No memory effect, no need to worry about battery capacity reduction
- 【Package & Services】1* Howeasy 330Wh portable solar generator， 1 *AC power adapter, 1* cigarette light adapter, 1* car charge, 1* user manual, we also provide 24 hours customer service and 24 months product guarantee