The need for electricity is almost unavoidable in this day and age. From camping to cookouts, power outages to picnics, portable power stations have a use in nearly any situation. Where generators are intended to provide power to homes, portable power stations are ideal for charging electronics, keeping small appliances running, or even powering outdoor movie or gaming parties.
As the world turns its eye toward renewable energy, two major types of portable power stations have come to prominence: solar and electric. Both have their pros and cons, but which is the best option for you? Read on for information about electric vs. solar power stations.
Solar power stations rely on solar panels to convert sunlight into electrical energy. Solar panels are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb sunlight to generate an electrical current. If you’ve seen solar panels on the roofs of nearby houses, it’s the same technology, just on a smaller scale.
The Best Solar Power Generator Buying Guide: the Top 5 Best Picks
Where solar stations recharge with sunlight, electric power stations need to be plugged into an electrical outlet in order to fill up their batteries. This means that you can plug them in at home, but it also gives you the opportunity to recharge the power station with a generator as well.
Because the technology is relatively new, solar power stations are generally more expensive than electric ones. However, keep in mind that electric power stations rely on electricity, as their name indicates, so they can impact your electricity bills. In contrast, solar power stations may be more expensive up front, but there are no costs associated with recharging them.
Solar portable home power stations are more environmentally friendly than electric ones. Solar panels convert sunlight into electrical energy, which powers appliances and electronics. Solar panels do not produce emissions, making them a clean energy source.
While countries like the United States are attempting to increase the amount of electricity generated by renewable means, including solar panels and hydroelectric plants, the majority of electricity is still generated using fossil fuels, like coal and natural gas. Though electric power stations don’t necessarily generate harmful emissions on their own, they can contribute to them as a result.
One of the major differences between solar and electric power stations is how you take care of them. The main power station units themselves will be relatively similar, and of course, stations from different brands may vary in how sturdy they are. However, as electric power stations keep their technology inside, there’s less of a chance that something can happen to them, barring water damage or a cut power cord.
With solar power stations, you need to be careful of how you treat the solar panels. Panels need to be gently cleaned regularly to ensure maximum sunlight absorption. Because they’re sensitive pieces of equipment, you need to be mindful of how they’re treated, taking care to avoid impacts that can damage the panels.
Although solar power stations have a variety of differences from electric ones, they’re not mutually exclusive. Some electric power stations are compatible with solar panels, which allows you to convert them instead of needing to buy an entirely new unit. This also makes them more versatile as you can rely on sunlight for charging in areas without electricity and plug the station in when you’re able to.
Despite their differences, solar and electric power stations are both viable options. Solar panels add versatility to power stations, but if you run out of charge in the middle of the night, you need to wait until the sun comes up. Electric power stations require access to outside generators whether they’re portable gas generators, home electrical outlets, or even vehicle power converters. Ultimately, it’s important to choose the power station that suits your needs and stays within your budget.
- 【Power Up Your Outdoor Life with High Capacity】Built-in a 260Wh/70000mAh rechargeable lithium battery pack with 110V 2*AC Outlet(300W Total). No fuel needed, no smell, no fumes and noiseless! Safe and convenient, ideal for both home use and outdoor trip. Just take it to your trip and enjoy your relaxing & wonderful outdoor life!
- 【Multiple Charging Outputs Provide More Options】 It is equipped with 2*AC outlet(110V 300W), 2* USB ports, 1*USB-C, 2*DC ports, 1*car port and 1*10W wireless charging port. Deliver stable and security power to most of your devices (less than 300W) like laptop, phone, camera, drone, light, CPAP machine etc. Ideal for outdoor activities(camping, RV trip, fishing, hunting, boating) and home emergency(power outage, hurricane)
- 【Various Ways to Recharge】It can be recharged by wall AC outlet, solar panel, car cigarette lighter port. SinKeu SE series solar panels are available and support fast recharging for G300 portable power station with ac outlet while traveling or camping (solar panel BUY SEPARATELY ). Take this portable solar generator with you on-the-go and get power from the sun anywhere. No more worry about power shortage, keep your outdoors always pumped!
- 【Stable Voltage & Safe Power Supply】SinKeu G300 is built-in excellent Battery Management System (BMS), protect devices through temperature control, overvoltage protection, overcurrent protection and short circuit protection functions. Detects short circuits and overloads when performing incorrect operations. Also, the Pure Sine Wave AC inverter can better protect your sensitive devices, ensuring the safety of you and your devices, preserve battery life.
- 【Your Satisfied is Our Priority】SinKeu offers 1* 12 months warranty, 7*24 hrs prompt and friendly customer service. Please contact us if there any issue arise. Package Included: You will receive 1x Rechargeable Generator Portable 260Wh, 1x AC power adapter, 1x car charging cable, 1x User Manual
- 【288Wh Capacity, 330W Output】330W (600W surge) pure sine wave supports most laptops, tablets, phones, lights, fans, CPAP medical devices, projectors, TV, mini-refrigerator, speaker, camera (rated power less than 330W). 288Wh huge capacity but light weight makes it compact and perfect for camping, car trips and other family outings.
- 【Upgraded Battery Management System】We promise to adopt quality lithium batteries since we found that the use of lower-quality batteries could pose a serious risk to life and should become a crucial part of deciding what to buy. Upgraded BMS provides built-in overload, overcharge (automatically stops charging when the device is full), and short-circuit protection. Dual built-in silent cooling fans help to keep the station's temperature safe.
- 【USB-C PD 60W, USB-A QC 18W】PD60W fast charging makes it possible to charge Android and iPhone, tablets, and laptops quickly, more than twice as fast as other standard USB-C output, and ultra-high efficiency in emergencies. All USB-A ports are quick-charge 3.0 18W, providing higher efficiency for each device.
- 【Power 8 Device simultaneously】Equipped with 1*AC output, 1*USB-C PD 60W output, 3*USB-A QC3.0 18W outputs, 1*Car port, 2*DC outputs, GRECELL solar generator can power eight devices at the same time (as long as they draw less than 330W combined). Each switch can control each output module.
- 【3 Ways To Recharge, Built-in MPPT Controller】GRECELL power station, can be charged via an AC outlet, a solar panel, or a car outlet. Built-in MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking Control) so it can extract the maximum power from the solar panel, optimizing the utilization of variable power sources like a solar generator.
- 🌏【SOLAR GENERATOR WITH PANEL INCLUDED】: Powkey solar generator panel kit includes a 200W portable power station and a 40W solar panel. With a built-in premium lithium battery pack of advanced technology, Powkey 146Wh(42000mAh) large capacity portable generator can work as an ideal battery backup emergency power supply for home power outage or outdoor camping, travel, trip, RV or any other activities, supplying long lasting power or energy for most of your electronic devices, such as cell phone, laptop, camera, speaker, fan, drone, mini fridge and RV electronic accessories., etc.
- 🌏【MULTIPLE 7 CHARGING OUTLETS】: Designed with 3 types of different AC/DC/USB 7 outlets, 2*110V Pure Sine Wave AC outlets(MAX 200W), 4*USB outlets( MAX 5V/3.1A) and 1*DC outlet(MAX 15V/2A), Powkey outdoor generator can deliver stable electricity and power most of your devices at the same time. Usually, a fully charged Powkey portable power station for camping can charge your phone about 20 times(10w) , camera about 13 times(15w) and laptop about 2 times(30~50w), a powerful backup battery for home and outdoor use.
- 🌏【3 INPUT RECHARGING WAYS】: In addition, to meet your power needs on the go, Powkey emergency portable power station solar generator has 3 recharging ways, charging by wall outlet(fully charged in 5~6 hours), charging by car cigar lighter or charging by Powkey solar panel(included), no longer be limited by different situation. Besides, 4 specially built-in LED lights indicator helps monitor the power usage or recharging percentage, helping you utilize or manage the power perfectly.
- 🌏【20.5% HIGH CONVERSION SOLAR PANEL】: 20.5% high conversion efficiency enables Powkey 40W solar panel charger to generate electricity and energy in low-lux outdoor environment(>40000 Lux). The built-in smart chip intelligently identifies your device and maximizes its charging speed while protecting your devices from overloading. With 10*DC adapters, this solar panel kit is compatible with most(almost 98%) solar generators portable power stations on the market.
- 🌏【FOLDABLE&WATERPROOF SOLAR PANEL】: Powkey 40W foldable solar panel for camping can be folded in 4 layers, which greatly saves the space when not in use. And after it is spread out and faced toward the direction of the sunlight, the large area of panel surface will help absorb the most effective solar energy. Made from durable nylon and adopted with IPX 4 technology, the surface of Powkey solar panel is waterproof(the outlet connector box is NOT) that can keep the panel surface from getting wet. It has 3 outlets to power up your devices, 1*DC Outlet 15V/2.66A(max), 1*USB-A 5V/3A 9V/2.5A 12V/2A, 1*Type C 5V/3A 9V/2A 12V/1.5A.