TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1. Emergency Backup Power
- 2. Strain on the Power Grids
- 3. Renewable Energy
- 4. Road Trips
- 5. Survival Gear
- 6. RVs
- 7. Camping
- 8. Outdoor Office
- 9. Uninterrupted Workflow
- 10. Replace Gas Generators
- What To Know Before Buying a Portable Power Station
- How Do You Charge a Portable Power Station?
- How Do You Set Up a Portable Power Station?
A portable power station could literally be a lifesaver, whether you’re out of power at home or stranded in the wilderness. You should consider adding one of these devices to your supplies even if you already have a fuel-based generator. There are many other creative uses for power stations that you may not have thought of before. Here are 10 of them.
1. Emergency Backup Power
One of the most popular uses of a portable power station is for emergency backup power. Regardless of where you live, power outages are a possibility. All households should have an emergency power supply to charge their phones and power any other critical devices. You should calculate how much energy your important devices use to know which portable power station to buy. A higher capacity emergency power supply is needed to meet the demands of more devices or higher-energy-drawing appliances.
- PORTABLE POWER STATION: Power your life at home, at work, and on the road with 3,032 Watt Hours. Seven versatile port options allow you to run everything from power tools and refrigerators to electric bikes and wood-fired grills
- EXPERIENCE BACKUP POWER LIKE NEVER BEFORE: Increased 2000W AC (3500W Surge) inverter allows you to brew coffee, use your portable fridge, and power phones and tablets to stay connected. Our new industry-leading inverter handles surges from power tools, medical devices, and even full-size refrigerators
- EASY TO USE: Power a wide range of devices with seven different port options including fast-charging 60W USB-C Power Delivery, multiple USB-A ports, regulated 12V, and two 120V AC ports.
- THREE WAYS TO CHARGE: Plug the Yeti 1500X into any 230-watt wall outlet to charge in 14 hours or any 600-watt wall outlet in six hours. You can recharge it from your car with the 12-volt adapter, or add a Goal Zero solar panel (sold separately) for faster charging.
- POWER IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND: Monitor, control, and optimize your power usage from anywhere with the Yeti App 3.0. Features remote control of power in/out, real-time power consumption notifications, and charging profiles to optimize your battery life.
If you are only looking to charge phones and maybe use one or two lights, then a 150Wh power station will suffice. These are available for under $100. To power large appliances, you’re going to be looking in the 4,000Wh+ range. Some power stations deliver as many as 25,000Wh. When you’re choosing a portable power station for backup power, you should select one with more watts than you need for your devices to account for a longer period of use. Power outages could last for several weeks, sometimes even months. You never know if serious damage will occur to the equipment in your area, resulting in a long power outage. Thus, it’s important to be prepared.
2. Strain on the Power Grids
As you’ve probably heard, the increasing strain on the power grid is causing more power outages to occur. The power grid is aging, and the demand for power has increased. You could help reduce the strain on the power grid by using a portable power station for electricity during the day. Demand on the power grid is usually highest from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Consider using a solar power station to further save on electricity and reduce your reliance on the power grid. Some power companies charge higher rates for energy use during peak hours, which is another reason you may want to use a portable power station until nightfall.
3. Renewable Energy
Solar power stations are a form of renewable energy. You could help the world begin transitioning to renewable energy by choosing this type of power station. The problem with electricity is it releases greenhouse gases and other air pollutants. Some of the pollution gets into the earth’s water, where it does additional damage to the environment.
- SPEED UP YOUR RECHARGEABILITY: It takes only 2 hours to recharge 80% battery of the power station through the wall outlet and 60W PD USB-C port simultaneously. You can also recharge your power station with an AC adapator when at home, through the car outlet during a road trip or simply use a Jackery SolarSaga 100.
- SAFE & STEADY POWER SUPPLY: Armed with a 293Wh lithium-ion battery pack, the Explorer 300 features 2 Pure Sine Wave AC outlets that deliver stable and safe 300W power. The portable power station weighs only 7.1 pounds. You can simply rest assured in outdoor off-grid activities.
- POWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS: Featuring 2* AC outlet, 1* PD 60W USB-C port (input/output supported) , 1* fast charge 3.0 port, 1*USB-A port and 1* DC car port, the power station can recharge itself and charge (up to) 6 devices (e.g.Drones, Macbook, Cameras, etc.) at the same time to satisfy your outdoor needs.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station is compatible with the Jackery SolarSaga 100 solar panel. The integrated MPPT controller enables the solar generator set to operate at its max power point, so that it speeds up the battery recharge, making them ideal portable power kits for tent camping, overland journey and etc.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 300 Portable Power Station , 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide
4. Road Trips
Passengers will want to use smartphones, tablets, and other electronic devices to keep themselves entertained on road trips. You can keep a portable power station in your car to keep dying batteries from spoiling the fun. Talking with passengers is a form of distracted driving, and distracted driving increases your risk of car accidents. You want to make sure that your passengers will be entertained during the long drive, especially if you have children in the car.
Another reason why it’s a good idea to have a portable power station on road trips is to use it as an emergency phone charger. You wouldn’t want to be lost with a dying smartphone. Having access to power ensures that you’d be able to call for help in the event of an emergency. Not all portable power stations are the size of a generator. You can find smaller options that you may find more suitable for your road trip. Another benefit of using a portable power station in the car is that it provides passengers with more outlets for their electronics. If you want the ability to charge the station in your car, verify that it comes with a 12-volt DC adapter.
- 🚗【Power Your Outdoor Life】ALLWEI portable power station (size: 9x4.7x7.8 inches, weight: 6.5 LBS), is equipped with 280Wh/78000mAh capacity, built-in 3-level LED light and SOS mode to satisfy your outdoor needs. LCD screen shows all power station operating status easily and timely. Perfect for emergency power supply, outdoor activities and home backup.
- 🚗【Powerful Capacity】2* AC PURE SINE WAVE outlets, 1* 110V/60Hz input, 1* car cigarette lighter for car appliances, 3* DC ports, 2* USB-A, 1* USB-C fast charging PD60W. The battery generator can power up to 9 devices such as drone, tablet, phones, iPad, laptop, camera, CPAP, etc. Great emergency portable power stations for pleasant road trip.
- 🚗【3 Charging Ways】ALLWEI solar power generators work with MPPT controller.①ALLWEI 60-100W solar panel(solar panels SOLD SEPARATELY) are available and support fast recharging for solar generator fully charged in 7-8 hours while traveling or camping.②The portable power recharge into a AC wall outlet about 5.5-6.5 hours.③The portable power generator also can be charged from 12V/24V car socket about 5.5-6.5 hours.
- 🚗【Outstanding Safety Guarantee】ALLWEI outdoor generators are qualified with ETL certification. The portable generator features ultra-safe battery management system, full protection of charging and discharging simultaneously. Automotive grade batteries making your outdoor adventures more wonderful.
- 🚗【Multi-Protect System】The solar portable power station provides all-round protection to protect your devices against short-circuit, over-current, over-voltage, low-voltage, over-load and over-heating via LCD screen icon flash, to make sure the devices more safe and efficient. 100% original premium lithium ion batteries support more than 1500 times of charge cycle.
5. Survival Gear
Some portable power stations have the capability to flash an SOS signal and emit an LED light. This is a good addition to your vehicle’s survival gear in case you become stranded somewhere. Certain models can also serve as portable battery jump starters. They won’t start your car as fast as having someone with another vehicle jump-start your battery, but they will eventually restore enough power to get your car running again.
Having too many appliances plugged into your RV could blow a fuse. Keeping a portable power station on hand allows you to use more appliances without concerns over blowing a fuse. These devices also let you give your RV’s battery routine breaks. Some campgrounds and RV parking areas ban the use of generators or only allow generator use during certain hours. Portable power stations are quiet sources of energy that you can use while camping in these areas. Even if a campground allows generators, you would probably prefer the peace of a much quieter power station.
Before buying a portable power station for your RV, you might want to check if you’ll be able to charge it in your RV. Most models can be charged via a 12-volt DC port in your RV. Solar power stations are also good options if you want to rely on the sun to charge them. Just keep in mind that if you’re not in a sunny area, it may make more sense to charge the power station from your RV.
A portable power station is great to bring with you while camping, too. With a portable power station for camping, you can charge your smartphones or other devices that you want to bring with you. It could help you enjoy longer stays in the great outdoors. Aside from charging your smartphone, the power station could power curling irons, shavers, and hairdryers; brew coffee; and run a CPAP machine. Choose a model that’s water resistant if you plan on using it for camping. An IP63 rating is a good feature to look for because it means that the power station resists dust and spraying water. Other possible uses for your camping power station are hooking up a projector to enjoy movies in the wilderness or powering a fan to stay cool during hot weather.
- 4 USB Ports
- 3 120V A/C Outlets
- 3000W Peak 2000Watt Continuous
- Bright LED Display Shows Run Time
- Included (4) 5. 0Ah Battery, (4) USB Ports & (4) Port Battery Charger (when plugged in)
8. Outdoor Office
Working outdoors can literally provide a refreshing change of scenery. You might not even want to go back to working indoors once you give it a try. There are many places where you could set up an outdoor office, including a park, the beach, a meadow, and other peaceful, scenic locations. You could even set up a space in your backyard when you don’t want to travel far. The right model can allow you to use a laptop, smartphone, monitor, Wi-Fi extender, and tablet all day.
9. Uninterrupted Workflow
For those who regularly work outside, such as photographers, landscapers, and maintenance workers, portable power stations come in handy. You can enjoy an uninterrupted workflow when you keep one of these devices with you. It could reduce your stress and improve the quality of your work when you’re not worried in the back of your mind about the batteries in your devices dying.
10. Replace Gas Generators
Some people decide to replace their gas generators with portable power stations because they are quieter and better for the environment. Portable power stations also don’t emit carbon monoxide as gas generators do. Fuel-based generators usually need to be set up at least 20 feet away from your home to protect your household from carbon monoxide. If you don’t have a large yard, then this isn’t easy to do.
Those who live in apartments and townhomes wouldn’t be able to use a gas generator either. Portable power stations allow these residents to have access to safe emergency backup power. You don’t need to set up a portable power station outside like you would with a gas generator. Rather than entirely replacing their gas generator, some people buy a portable power station as a backup to their main generator. This is another option to consider if you’re uncertain about relying solely on a portable power station.
What To Know Before Buying a Portable Power Station
Power stations that can use solar panels to charge should never be used completely out of energy when you have a power outage. Once they’re out of power, they can’t charge via the solar panels. They do need some juice in them to begin charging from solar power.
If you plan on using the portable power station for anything that’s hardwired in your house, then you need a transfer switch. Fuel-based generators are the same way. Examples of appliances and fixtures that are hardwired are furnaces and light fixtures.
Portable power stations aren’t as efficient in their use of power as fuel-based generators. According to Consumer Reports, for a runtime of eight to 13 hours on gas, a portable power station would have a runtime of three to nine hours. You’ll likely have to pay more for a more powerful portable power station to meet the needs of what you’d like to power.
Most models take several hours to recharge. You may have to let them charge overnight. As for those that can use solar panels to charge, when it’s cloudy outside, it’s going to take longer for the station to charge.
Don’t be fooled by the term portable, either. These devices tend to be heavy and could be the size of a large microwave. Many models weigh 80 pounds, and some weigh even more. Some models come with wheels, but that still doesn’t solve the problem if you want to place one in the trunk of your car and you are struggling to lift it on your own. If its wheels are small, then you may have more difficulty rolling it across a lawn.
With all this said, remember that technology is always evolving. Today’s portable power stations are better than those of the past, and they continue to become more powerful, more efficient, and less expensive. You’ll want to keep an eye out for upgraded models over time.
How Do You Charge a Portable Power Station?
You can charge it from the outlet in your home just as you would from an outlet in your RV. Car chargers are also possible to use for charging the power station.
How Do You Set Up a Portable Power Station?
Using an extension cord, connect the power station to the bottom port of the transfer switch of your electric panel. Some electric panels don’t have a transfer switch, but you can pay an electrician to install one. This typically takes about an hour. Once your power station is connected, you need to flip the necessary switches on your panel to gen mode. You should know which circuit breakers you need to feed the power to. Also, make sure that you first unplug any appliances that you don’t intend to power to avoid damaging your power station. Overloading can damage it.
Portable power stations are a clean, quiet option in generators that you can safely use indoors. They don’t necessarily have to replace your fuel-based generator. They can be a good complement to your emergency energy backup system. If you’re environmentally conscious, they can even help you take more demand off your city’s power grid.