A portable power station can keep electronic devices like appliances, CPAP machines, smartphones, and laptops charged and running during power outages. You can also use them while traveling, camping, or RV’ing — basically, whenever you don’t have access to electricity.
Unlike portable generators, power stations produce “clean” energy that can power sensitive equipment like laptops and smartphones. Because they use energy-dense lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, they don’t require kerosene, gasoline, or propane. As a result, they’re much quieter, easier to maintain, and eco-friendlier. They’re also safe to use indoors, unlike traditional generators.
However, not all power stations are made equal. Some brands are quieter, more reliable, and more powerful. Read our comprehensive guide to learn more about the best power station brands of 2022. We’ll cover what makes a power station brand great and the top five brands for power stations. We’ll also cover which brands have the best power rating and which brands have options that provide hours of continuous power.
What Makes a Power Station Brand Great?
Before we dive into the brands of the best portable power stations of 2022, let’s explore what makes a power station brand great.
First, you need to look at the price of the brand you want to buy. Generally speaking, pricier brands are more reliable and provide more features and ports. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you should get a pricey brand. Depending on your specific needs, a budget-friendly or medium-end brand may be the perfect fit.
Go through the rest of this section and make a list of “must-have” and “nice-to-have” features. Your chart could look like this:
|Must-Have Features||Nice-to-Have Features|
|Solar technology||Solar technology|
|Budget-friendly (under $800 dollars)|
|Lithium-ion battery technology|
|At least four AC outlets|
|At least two USB outlet ports|
Then, look at your budget and the brands you want to buy.
If you have a limited budget, look for a brand that fits all of your must-have features and is within your price range. If nothing fits, consider adjusting your expectations. On the other hand, if you have a larger budget, look for a brand that fits all or most of your must-have and nice-to-have features.
If you’re an avid RV’er, camper, or hiker and you live in a sunny area, you should consider whether your brand offers solar charging. Most brands these days sell power stations that can be charged via solar panels. These panels allow you to charge your portable power station during camping trips.
Solar power provides several advantages over traditional energy sources like natural gas and coal. To start off, solar power is inexpensive since you don’t need to buy any batteries. All you have to do is buy the power station, a solar panel, and expose the solar panel to sunlight. You can do this by attaching your solar panel to your backpack, car, RV, or bike while traveling. Solar-powered stations are also a great choice if you live or travel in remote locations with little to no access to electricity.
Solar charging works differently depending on the brand. However, the process is similar for most brands. Simply connect the DC input of your power station with the solar panel’s DC interface and you’re ready to go.
Most brands these days use lithium-ion batteries. These batteries provide many advantages, including:
- High battery capacity and energy density: This is the main advantage of Li-ion batteries. Thanks to their high energy density, Li-ion batteries are great at charging electronic equipment like mobile phones, laptops, and power tools. Most Li-ion batteries have a shelf life of three to six years.
- Low maintenance: Li-ion batteries also don’t require maintenance to ensure optimal performance. In contrast, older battery types, like nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cad) cells, require periodic discharge.
- Variety of types available: Li-ion batteries are also diverse. Many brands manufacture and sell Li-ion batteries that can be interchangeably used for other tools of the same voltage and brand.
Last but not least, you need to consider your chosen brand’s power ratings. Measured in watts (W), a power station’s wattage shows you how many devices it can power at once.
Most brands offer models that run the gamut of power ratings. However, some brands don’t produce models with certain power ratings. For example, the highest power rating for Anker models is only 500W. So if you’re looking for higher power ratings, look for brands that sell models with higher wattage, like Westinghouse and EcoFlow.
Top 5 Brands for Power Stations
|Power Rating||200W to 500W||100W to 2,000W||300W to 3,600W||100W to 3,000W||1,800W|
|Battery Technology||LiFePO4 or MCN (Nickel Manganese Cobalt)||Li-ion||NCM Li-ion||Li-ion||Li-ion|
|Warranty||18 months for models with MCN batteries, 5 years for models with LiFePO4 batteries||2 years||1.5 to 3 years depending on product line||2 Years||3 years|
Anker Powerhouse Power Stations
Anker 545 PowerHouse 500W Portable Power Station
About the Brand
The world’s premier mobile charging brand, Anker offers a wide range of products, including power banks, chargers, cables, and portable power stations.
According to its site, Anker has been a pioneer in charging technology for 10 years. They sold over 200 million products worldwide in 2020 and their products are available in 146 countries.
Although they’re primarily known for their charging stands, cables, and power banks, Anker’s power stations are just as good as the rest of their products. Besides being green, clean, and quiet, they’re also affordable and highly portable. They can power a wide range of appliances, including:
- CPAP machines and other medical devices
- Portable coffee makers
- Electric grills
Anker uses lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4 or LFE) batteries for many of their products, which last six times longer than standard Li-ion battery packs do. However, some models use a type of lithium-ion battery called Nickel Manganese Cobalt (MCN).
Why Customers Love These Portable Power Stations
Customers love Anker’s portable power stations for their solar compatibility, portability, and affordability. They were also impressed by Anker products’ functions and ports.
Here’s a summary of the pros and cons of Anker portable power stations:
- Fast recharge time
- Some models offer Five-year warranties
- Compatible with almost all essential devices and appliances
- Great at charging smartphones and laptops
- Solar power
- Some models come with flashlights and ambient modes
- Long lifespan
- USB Type-C ports may not work well
- Resetting process is difficult
- Incompatible with most solar panels
- Doesn’t work well with CPAP machines
- May Randomly loses charge
Jackery Explorer Power Stations
Jackery Explorer 500W Portable Power Station
About the Brand
Founded in California in 2012, Jackery is a leader in the solar generator industry. As one of the world’s biggest manufacturers of outdoor solar tools, Jackery has been recognized by over 100 authorized organizations and media outlets around the world.
The company has also made many contributions to solar power technology.
In 2015, Jackery launched the world’s first series of lithium portable power generators — the Explorer series. This line features an innovative battery management system, formidable capacities, and high operating power. There are two sub-types of Explorer power generators:
- Mighty Explorers, which offer massive amounts of power to run large appliances and devices
- Compact Explorers, which are built for maximum portability. They can be used to power all mainstream small appliances and electronics.
Since then, Jackery has released a wide range of Explorer models for outdoor enthusiasts, travelers, and other highly-mobile people.
In 2018, Jackery created the Explorer 240, a powerful portable power station that has become a bestseller. That same year, Jackery also unveiled its leading-edge SolarPeak technology and the SolarSaga solar panel series.
In 2020, Jackery released the Solar Generator series, which combines portability with solar power to make electricity more efficient and accessible for travelers.
Jackery has won prestigious awards in its 10-year history, including:
- 2016 IF Design Award
- A’ Design Award & Competition
- 2016 German Red Dot Design Award
- 2018 CES Innovation Award
- 2020 CES Innovation Award
Why Customers Love This Option
Many customers have written glowing reviews for Jackery products, praising the brand for its high-quality batteries and affordable prices. Most users were also impressed by how many appliances Jackery portable power stations can charge.
Here are the pros and cons of Jackery portable power stations:
- High-quality Li-ion battery packs
- Great for outdoor use
- Can power sensitive electronic equipment
- Supports pass-through charging
- Solar power
- Highly portable
- Charging speed could be faster
- Could last longer
- Not good at running power tools
EcoFlow Power Stations
EcoFlow RIVER Pro 600W Portable Power Station
About the Brand
EcoFlow was founded in 2017 by entrepreneurs who had previously worked for a leading drone company.
EcoFlow’s mission is to empower communities and people through reliable, clean, and portable power. They want to reinvent the way the world accesses energy by dethroning traditional gas generators and harnessing new technologies to raise standards of living around the globe.
EcoFlow’s power stations, chargers, and other products can be used recreationally, professionally, and for emergency situations. Here’s a breakdown of how customers use its products:
- 60% of customers use EcoFlow products for RV’ing, traveling, and tailgating
- 57% use EcoFlow products for disaster relief, home backup, and medical devices
- 30% use EcoFlow products professionally — that is, for film, photography, drones, event production, and business
EcoFlow is located in Shenzhen, China.
Why Customers Love This Power Source
Many customers were impressed by EcoFlow power generators’ capacity and charging speed. Here’s a summary of the pros and cons of EcoFlow:
- Lightning-fast charging speed
- Remote control via companion app
- Fast delivery
- Built-in light for overnight hikes
- Small models offer plenty of power
- Great for off-grid travel
- Solar power compatible
- Some functions are only available through the companion app
- Solar input could be higher
- Slow customer service
- App doesn’t work off-grid
- Not for large application, such as home backup power
Westinghouse Power Stations
Westinghouse iGen160s 100/150W Portable Power Station
About the Brand
Westinghouse is one of the U.S.’s premier appliance brands. Originally named Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company, Westinghouse was founded in 1886 by George Westinghouse. It was later renamed Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945.
Here’s a brief summary of Westinghouse’s proudest moments:
- 1888: Inventor Nikola Tesla received a patent for the world’s first alternating current motor and came to work for Westinghouse.
- 1891: Westinghouse built Ames Hydroelectric Generating Plant, the world’s first industrial AC system.
- 1921: Westinghouse releases the first factory-built radio receiver.
- 1948: Westinghouse installed the first industrial 2000 HP, W21 gas turbine in Wilmar, Arkansas.
- 1969: Westinghouse cameras captured videos and photos of the first moonwalk.
- 1977: The company introduced the first airborne surveillance radar system.
As you can see, Westinghouse creates more than just power stations. They also offer:
- A wide range of generators, such as inverters, generators for businesses and home backup, travel generators, solar generators, and traditional gas generators
- Gas and electric pressure washers
- Lawn and garden tools, including leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, and pole saws
Why Customers Love These Power Banks
Generally, customers were impressed by Westinghouse power stations’ durability, design, and power. They were particularly impressed by the variety of appliances these beasts can power.
Here are the pros and cons of Westinghouse power stations:
- Great design
- High-end models can charge large appliances like TVs
- Solar power compatible
- Great for travel and home backup
- Battery doesn’t charge well
- Doesn’t charge laptops as well as advertised
- May damage certain devices
DeWalt Power Stations
DeWalt DCB1800B 1800W Portable Power Station and Simultaneous Battery Charger
About the Brand
Short for DeWalt Industrial Tool Company, DeWalt is one of the most well-known manufacturers of power tools and hand tools.
The company was founded in 1923 by Raymond E. DeWalt, the inventor of the radial arm saw. The company grew rapidly in the next few decades until it was re-incorporated in 1947 as DeWalt Inc. American Machine & Foundry Co., Inc. bought the company in 1949 and sold it to Black & Decker in 1960.
In the 1990s, Black & Decker started to rebrand DeWalt as a high-end professional manufacturer. Currently, DeWalt sells over 200 power tools and 800 accessories, including its one and only true power station — the DeWalt DCB1800B 1800W Portable Power Station and Simultaneous Battery Charger. It also sells portable jump starters.
Why Customers Love This Backup Power Source
Customers love the DeWalt DCB1800B 1800W Portable Power Station and Simultaneous Battery Charger for its power, reliability, and long battery life. They were particularly impressed by how it could power TVs and heavy-duty equipment like table saws.
Here’s a summary of the pros and cons of this product:
- Can power TVs for up to 7 hours
- Great for heavy-duty equipment like table saws
- Perfect for home and work
- Durable exterior
- Runs most variable speed power tools
- 4-port simultaneous charger
- Could be more portable
- Not the best for traveling
- Internal components are sensitive to overheat
- Extension cord and batteries sold separately
- May burn up phones and other sensitive equipment
- Doesn’t have USB connectors
- Not compatible with solar panels
What Brand Has the Best Power Rating?
The brand with the best power rating is EcoFlow. The EcoFlow DELTA Pro 3600W Portable Power Station offers 3,600 watts of AC output and an expandable capacity of 3.6 kWh. In other words, this model can store enough electricity to power:
- Lights for four days
- A phone 313 times
- A refrigerator for one to two days
- A laptop 57 times
- An electric kettle for 2.2 hours
- A microwave for 2.5 hours
- An electric heater for 1.5 hours
- An electric drill for three hours
It doesn’t stop there — you can expand the capacity to an industry-leading 25 kWH by adding another unit, Smart Generators, and extra batteries.
EcoFlow also offers other great options, such as the EcoFlow DELTA Max 2400W Portable Power Station and the EcoFlow RIVER Pro 600W Portable Power Station.
Which Brands Have Options That Provide Hours of Continuous Power?
All of the brands here have options that provide hours of continuous power. However, some provide more reliable power than others. These include:
EcoFlow has many options that provide hours of continuous power. Here are some of the most powerful EcoFlow power generators:
EcoFlow DELTA Pro 3600W Portable Power Station
As previously discussed, the EcoFlow DELTA Pro 3600W Portable Power Station is one of the most formidable power generators on the market. It sports a whopping 3.6 kWh capacity that can be expanded to 25 kWh. That’s enough to charge your phone over 300 times and run lights for four days. You can also integrate this baby with your home circuits through the Smart Home Panel.
EcoFlow DELTA Max 2400W Portable Power Station
EcoFlow’s second most powerful offering, the EcoFlow DELTA Max 2400W Portable Power Station can power appliances for hours. Many customers were able to use this beast to run coffeemakers, toasters, and propane fridges for over 50 hours. You can use it to power up to 15 devices at once. Turn on the X-Boost mode to get 3,400 watts of power.
Westinghouse also offers reliable power generators. Their best offerings include:
Westinghouse iGen1000s 1500W/3000W Portable Power Station
The Westinghouse iGen1000s 1500/3000W Portable Power Station is ideal for indoor and outdoor battery backup. Thanks to its pure sine wave, it can charge sensitive equipment like laptops and phones effectively and safely. It also has built-in safety features for protecting the connected devices and battery.
This baby can power:
- 18 hours of TV
- 40 laptop charges
- 109 smartphone charges
- Up to 142 hours of lights
- 151 drone charges
- 59 to 79 charges on various CPAP devices
This power station charges up to 8 devices at a time and has six USB ports.
Westinghouse iGen600s 600W/1200W Portable Power Station
Another great Westinghouse pick is the Westinghouse iGen600s 600W/1200W Portable Power Station. Although it’s not as heavy-duty as the Westinghouse iGen1000s 1500/3000W Portable Power Station, it offers more than enough power for remote work, fishing, camping, music festivals, and tailgating. You can also use it as an emergency backup at home and work.
This station can charge up to eight devices at a time and can power up to:
- 83 hours of lights
- 64 smartphone charges
- 87 drone charges
- Two nights on certain CPAP devices
- 11 hours of TV
Like other Westinghouse power stations, this device has:
- Multiple USB ports
- Energy-dense lithium-ion batteries
- Built-in safety features for protecting connected devices and the battery
DeWalt only has one power station — the DeWalt DCB1800B 1800W Portable Power Station and Simultaneous Battery Charger. Like DeWalt’s other products, this station is reliable and powerful. It can provide hours of continuous backup power for your home and business. Numerous customers have used this power station for running air compressors, miter saws, and other tools with high power consumption off-grid.
Although you could take this with you on a trip, this generator is quite heavy, making it a better choice for home and business applications. It also has a modified sine wave inverter, which means it won’t power certain appliances. It may also burn sensitive equipment like laptops and phones. There are also no USB connectors.
In short, the DeWalt DCB1800B 1800W Portable Power Station and Simultaneous Battery Charger is best for powering home and business appliances like fridges, toasters, power tools, and air conditioners.
Power Your Power Tools, Appliances, and More with These Brands
Portable power stations are a must-have for homeowners and travelers alike. A reliable power station can keep your appliances, tools, and devices running during severe blackouts and extended trips.
However, choosing the best power stations can be difficult, especially if you don’t know what makes each brand unique. That’s why you need to research portable power station brands and identify your preferences, budget, and priorities before buying top portable power stations.
Generally speaking, if you’re an overnight hiker, camper, traveler, RV’er, or tailgater, you should consider getting a Jackery or Anker power station. Jackery and Anker models are lightweight, portable, and can be charged via solar panels.
On the other hand, if you’re a homeowner or business owner, DeWalt, EcoFlow, and Westinghouse generators may be better choices. Not only can they power sensitive equipment like phones and laptops, but they can also power heavy-duty equipment like TVs, power tools, and fridges.